Monday 1 September 2014

Plans for the 2014/2015 Summer period

Spring is here, and with it the start of better weather for tramping and generally getting out into the outdoors.

Tarns on Bealey Spur, September 2014
 
 
I have been considering my plans for the next year and have nominated several "must do's" for this period.
They are (in no particular order):
 
1. To tramp at least one Great Walk per year (9 total)
 
2. To tramp at least one private walk
 
3. To tramp at least one multiday track
 
Im currently looking at walking the Kepler track in March 2015, Ive narrowed the private track down to the Kaikoura Coastal Track or Humpridge.  I'm planning to walk the St James Walkway before Christmas, a trip I had planned for February 2014 but had to cancel due to the weather (Cyclone Ita).
 
Additionally Ive set myself the long term goal of section walking the Te Araroa trail, South Island first. I will be planning a series of trips to achieve this goal over the next couple of years. Im presently gathering info on the sections over the Harper Pass, Mingha-Deception route and the Rakaia to Rangitata sections.  My idea is that if I set myself some goals it will help me to plan and execute these trips. I want to maximise the amount of time i have out in the bush.
 
I am keen to do more bush camping and will be planning some weekend trips towards this end. Ive joined Permolat a group that maintains remote tracks and huts and will be looking to spend some time cutting back tracks etc.  
 
That sounds like enough to be going on with!

No comments:

Post a Comment